Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Relationships and Life Stories

One area that I have gained greater understanding of myself as a researcher is with the dynamic of qualitative research being a highly relational process. As a result of the experiences in this class, I have learned that I really enjoy the connection and camaraderie that is built between the researcher and the participants during a study. Not only does a personal connection exist between the researcher and researched, but it is actually expected and encouraged as a part of the methodological process, understanding that there are boundaries and standards that the researcher must adhere. This dynamic is something that primarily does not exist in qualitative research and I think it fits my personality well to go in this direction with my dissertation and future research.

Related to this is that I have learned that I really enjoy hearing the story of an event from multiple perspectives. With my case study on the Shanghai international program, I had the opportunity to sit down with twelve individuals who have participated in some way with the program. Each has there own unique view on the program and each has a powerful story to tell in regards to their experiences. By having the opportunity to hear so many perspectives, I felt privileged to have audience to a very thorough picture of the Shanghai program, perhaps more than any other person. This privilege is not to be dismissed as irrelevant and it is motivating to my as a researcher to approach the analysis and reporting with the highest degree of integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment