Friday, July 3, 2009

Interesting

Now that I am in the coding and evaluation stage of the research, I am starting to notice an interesting pattern about the data that is emerging from each interview. I sense that each subsequent interview that I conducted has provided better data than the one before. After contemplating this observation, I think this may potentially be a sign of two things. First, I think it speaks to an increase in my comfort level and skill as an interviewer in that I am able to ask better questions the further I progress, I'm able to allow space for the interviewee to go into more depth, and I'm better able to respond to the uniqueness of each interview in a manner that allows me to collect better data. Second, I think that it speaks to me having a better understanding of the case (the Pepperdine Shanghai international program) and the dynamics that make the case such an interesting study. By gaining incremental knowledge and perspective on the Pepperdine Shanghai program, I am better able to orient and structure my data collection in a way that brings out the best in the interviewees. This dynamic makes me want to go back and re-interview some of the individuals I worked with early in the process. I guess that's the beauty of a long-term qualitative project is that you have the time to go back again and again, if necessary, to clarify certain points of data and gather better information.

No comments:

Post a Comment